Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dealing with Immigration

Well the past few days has been nothing more than frustrating. It started out with a phone call on Thursday from Tarija saying I (Steph) needed to sign a paper. Ok so I grab a taxi to Tarija and spend the night at the Marsden's. The next day I go to Immigration to find out that I am signing a paper to have temporary custody of my passport. They are saying that La Paz sent all my paperwork back for my 2 year visa because I did not cancel my tourist visa. First of all they tell me I have to go to the U.S Consulate to fix this. The U.S had nothing to do with issuing this visa. So then they say well you need to go to the an office in Santa Cruz to fix this. So Justin drives up to Tarija and flys out the next day with me to Santa Cruz. We spend the weekend here. Then on Monday we go to the "office". Well that place was a mad house. I was worried there was going to be fights. After 2 hours standing in line the boss tells us she can not do anything. And goes on to tell us we obviously do not understand Spanish that well. I was a little ticked at that one. Anyways we call Tarija they tell us to go to another building. After 8 trys we find the building, in a totally different area. This lady agrees with us in that we came in on an Objecto Determinado visa and that voided the tourist visa. So she calls La Paz. No one will call her back. So we go in this morning. La Paz finally answers. They say all we need to do is send a letter stating we want to cancel the tourist visa. The thing is we already sent a letter like that to them and they did not accept it. So we are flying there this afternoon. Let me tell you this is one of the most unorganized countries there are. No one knows what the other is doing. All we can do is continue praying and trying to do all we can.    

No comments:

Post a Comment